Benefits of Personal Development – What Everybody Ought to Know
A Nightmare Existence
Once upon a time, there was a woman who was very depressed, negative, and felt no purpose in her life…. it was so bad she tried to end it on more than one occasion.
40 years of struggle, tears, addictions, volatile relationships, feelings of emptiness, lack of purpose, drama, lack, dependence, ungratefulness, and anger.
Eventually, when things were bad enough again she had to make a decision – somehow change or die. Life had some beautiful moments worth sticking around for, she thought.
The smell of coffee, the rain, sunrises, the unconditional love from an animal, the sound of the ocean, etc – for these she wanted to stick around a while longer!
But she needed more of these “happy moments” rather than the deep, dark, depressing fog that her daily existence was consumed by.
So through a lot of trial and error that involved a little studying here a little curiosity there…believing in “if a Peggy could do it so could I”, things started to change – slow at first but soon she couldn’t wait to get out of bed every morning to experience life in a whole new way.
And in the end, she lived happily, ever after!
I’m sure this could be, more or less, the beginning paragraphs for a million or more people’s life stories – as it was mine and Peggy’s.
So what changed, you ask?
The answer is so simple a lot of people just don’t want to believe that it could be that simple. Change your MINDSET!
Although the answer may be simple the process is not always as easy and as straightforward. It’s not just a matter of having a positive attitude either.
It takes work, focus, dedication, faith, repetition, clarity, determination, AND belief – but it is oh so possible. This is what is known as the study of personal development.
The Benefits of Personal Development Study
Although my story above was more a case of being driven by pain and misery to change, the overall reason people want to change is to better themselves. For many of us this is and always will be the reason we persist with the study of personal development.
The benefits of studying personal development are many, but I will categorize them as follows:
- Mental health benefits. The study opens your mind and makes you aware of how much control you can have over your emotions (as in my own story, learning which negative behaviors were affecting my emotions and actions and vice versa).
- Improves your clarity and focus. One of the things that you want most from personal development is clarity. You want to know what your strengths and weaknesses are so that you can use them to your advantage. Developing SMART goals for your life in all areas of your life is one way to develop that clarity. Once you have it you can become more and more focused on doing the right steps to get there that you will also become more effective at realizing each success. You’ll be able to toss away roadblocks, obstacles, and threats because you’re doing it with a plan.
- Improved skills lead to higher productivity and motivation. Motivation can be hard to come by for some people. However, with experience and success, comes motivation. Think about how motivated you feel if you earn a few bucks from an affiliate offer you posted about six months ago. Think about how motivated you feel any time you get good news about an action you took that turned out positive. That’s why you will become more motivated. You’ll have more experience with success due to following your personal development plan.
- Decision-making will be easier and you will be more adaptable to change. When you really know who you are, who you want to be, and you know how to get it you’re going to have a much better idea of where you’re going from here than the average person. Knowing what you want to get out of life is an important aspect of what helps you set your own course. You also learn not to overwhelm yourself by trying to do too much at once because you know that when you set your goals right you will achieve them.
- Increased awareness of “who you are” makes you happier and healthier. Being self-aware allows you to look to yourself, the only person you have any control over, for the change that is needed to reach the success you desire. For example, if you realize that you are too sensitive to criticism during your self-study do you just say, “Don’t critique me because I cannot handle it!” No, instead you teach yourself with the help of books, courses, classes, counselors, or coaches (or all the above) to learn to not only handle criticism better but also understand the role it should play in your life.
- Your relationships will improve. One of the things you will learn very well as you work on your personal development plan is that you have full control over your own actions. It’s true that you cannot control sometimes how you feel but you can control how you react. It can be hard to realize it but once you fully accept it your relationships will improve dramatically.
- Increases Self-esteem and Resiliency. When you are sure of yourself and where you’re going, something happens along the way. You’ll feel good about the things you’re doing, too. You become a much stronger person. One of the first things you may notice is that you can bounce back faster from issues and roadblocks. When you know how to plan using actionable steps, to get to where you want to go, there seem to be fewer problems, issues, and roadblocks, simply because you know you’re capable and know what to do. You will have tools, crafted from the development of your personal plan, to help you overcome issues that would ordinarily delay your progress. There is no way to control the negativity around you; however, you will have more control over your actions and reactions.
- By becoming a “better version of yourself” – you make the world a better place! The role personal development plays in your level of success in all areas of your life is clear. People who spend time developing themselves tend to experience life more fully, make more money, have better and more fulfilling relationships, and are more satisfied with their place in the world. The reason is that you cannot get to where you want to go without taking small daily actions to get there. Having a personal development plan will be the map that guides you to where you want to go.
Self Development Study – An example
I would like to share a story that so resonates with me and my journey with personal development.
Studying and reading others’ stories are sometimes just what makes the difference in our limited thinking.
It motivates us, and compels us to keep trying no matter how alone and downtrodden we may feel on our own journey.
20 Valuable Lessons and Benefits from Continuous Personal Development Study
As written by Peggy McColl – Hindsight is 20/20 -courtesy of Proctor Gallagher Institute
“As we have now entered the year 2020, I realize that I have many extremely valuable lessons that I have learned from over 40 years of personal development study…
…And what is extremely beneficial about these valuable lessons, is that they will serve me for the remainder of my life.
My desire is that these valuable lessons will serve you too.
You see, 40 years ago, at the young age of 20, I met the wonderful Bob Proctor, who was hired to speak at a conference that I attended. I did not want to go to this conference, but as an employee, we were “mandated” to attend.
I am so glad I did!
Bob Proctor woke me up from a nightmare existence. My life was a miserable one. Night after night I would cry myself to sleep because I felt a deep sadness and a sense of unworthiness. I honestly believed that I was destined to live an impoverished, miserable life.
That wake-up call lit a fire within me that has been burning ever since. 40 years later, I am still a phenomenal student of personal development, AND I am blessed to call Bob Proctor a close friend.
The truth is, my own life has changed in every way; from being raised in a poor, dysfunctional, abusive environment filled with negativity and anger … to now living a luxurious life filled with love, opulence, and gratitude.
But how did this drastic change occur? And, is it really possible for someone who is distraught and living a miserable life to change their life?
“With Focus, Discipline and a Great Mentor, Anyone can turn their life around.”
Here are 20 of my “hindsight 20/20 most valuable lessons”:
1. Make a firm decision to get involved in the study of personal development and stay in the study because as your awareness grows, your results will continue to get better and better.
2. You can’t do anything about the past; therefore, find the blessings from any and every experience – and move on!
3. Be very clear on what you would love, as the Universe loves specificity. For example, instead of declaring “more money”, declare “$10,000,000” (or whatever number you wish).
4. Your beliefs will determine your thoughts, feelings, actions, behaviors, habits, and results; therefore, if you want your results to change, you must build the beliefs to support your desires.
5. The same level of energy to manifest a small amount of money can be applied to manifest a large amount of money … as Napoleon Hill said: “No more effort is required to aim high in life; to demand prosperity and abundance than is required to accept misery and poverty.” (this has become my favorite quote, and I have personally found it to be 100% true!)
6. It only takes a little bit of poison to kill; therefore, pay very close attention to negativity and when it rears its ugly head, get rid of it and switch to positive. Maintain a positive attitude about everything, as a positive mental attitude will only serve you (whereas recurring negative thoughts will kill your dreams).
7. Surround yourself with positive and uplifting people.
8. The words “I am” are the two most powerful words you can ever utter; therefore, carefully choose your “I am” statements.
9. If you are feeling fearful about your goal, know that you are on the right track. Goals are designed to stretch you and you will grow in the process of manifesting your goal. Remember: goals are not for what you get but for who you become. If you feel fear, it’s because you are entering into “growth”, which exists outside of your comfort zone. Keep going!
10. It really doesn’t matter where you came from, if you want to do great things in the world, go for it.
11. The most valuable thing you can do to manifest your desire is to feel as if your goal is here now; as Neville Goddard declared: “Come from your goal”, rather than “Work towards your goal”.
12. Take action on your goals; you can’t sit back and visualize and expect your goal to manifest in front of you; there is always action required, and I recommend you do it daily!
13. You do not have to know HOW you are going to achieve your goal; simply decide it is already done (you will be inspired with the action to take when you are connected to the outcome as if it is already done; often, this is a very illogical process, and your logic will not get you where you’d like to go).
14. Never sacrifice your values when pursuing your goals (For example, if the family is your priority, keep your family as a priority).
15. Take your mind off of the receiving and focus on giving (the more you give, the more you get it’s “the law”; and give to give… the receiving will happen automatically).
16. Trust your instincts (I believe our intuition is God speaking to us)!
17. If you do not like where you are going, change direction.
18. Find out what people want and serve them better than anyone else!
19. Investing in yourself is one of the best investments you will ever make.
20. Quantum leaps occur once you make a committed decision to have one. So decide now.”
Wow! What valuable insights about the benefits of personal development by one of the best mentors and coaches online today. With so many benefits who would not want to spend time developing themselves? It certainly has changed my life!
Benefits of Personal Development – What Everybody Ought to Know